Wednesday, March 10, 2010

And The Verdict Is...

Ryker has Optic Nerve Hypoplasia after all.

It was confirmed today by Dr. Dries, one of the Pediatric Opthamologists at Primary Children's Medical Center.  We're taking him in again Friday morning to get an MRI since there are sometimes brain development issues that accompany ONH.  I'm grateful that we're able to get this done so soon so we can find out whether or not he may have learning disabilities as well as impaired vision.  Dr. Dries said that since he's considered legally blind, we can get financial assistance for whatever he might need.  We'll find out exactly what he might need after the MRI and as time goes by and we discover just how much he does see. 

We're going to get in touch with Utah Schools for the Deaf and Blind pretty soon to start the Parent Infant Program.  I'll get more information on it in the near future, but Dr. Dries said they'll have a teacher work with Ryker once a week, pretty much starting as soon as we find out the results of the MRI.  Even if he doesn't have any brain development issues, we'll still get a teacher.  They just like to know if he'll have learning disabilities along with impaired vision. 

He also has to get an exam under Anesthesia next month because Dr. Dries thought he saw a mole in Ryker's left eye, but he wants to make sure that's what it is and if Ryker has anymore.  He didn't really say what that meant if Ryker DOES have a mole in the eye.  I never really thought about eye moles, so I don't know much about the subject, but from what I've gathered Dr. Dries will be making sure that it is just a mole and not Melanoma.  He'd also probably check it from time to time to see whether or not it's changed in size and/or appearance.  So, I'm pretty much assuming that he'd treat it like any other mole.  Ugh...I hope it's not an issue.  That's all I'd need at this point, right?

Holy cow...I've been dealing with a lot in the past year.  I know I'm not letting a lot of these things in, but I'm sure I'll deal with them little by little.  I'm still trying to keep the positive momentum I felt from the other day, and continue to be positive.  Only time will tell what kind of extra care Ryker needs.  He's still my little angel and I'll always love him, do whatever I can for him, and be proud of him.  I'll continue to post more about him and our life together as I get more info.  Thank you, everyone, who has been there for me and Ryker in this past year.  I don't know if I will ever be able to convey how much strength and hope that's given me.  :)

5 comments:

  1. Man that's rough - tough little guy! I have no idea what it's like to get news like that, but I'm sure it's pretty rough. He's lucky to have such a wonderful mom to help him through this. Hang in there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's just what I was thinking. Ryker really is so lucky to be born to such a wonderful mommy. And it's good to know that with all this bad news, there's some good stuff too, like the financial assistance and teacher. The possibility of mental disabilities accompanying the sight problems is so scary but since he's been doing so well in every area except vision, I'd be really surprised if that was the case. I can't imagine how overwhelmed you must be feeling right now...You really have had to deal with an extraordinary amount of things in the last year. If anyone can handle it, though, you can. You're one tough cookie and I'm rooting for you and your little man. If you need anything, let me know. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are such a great mom. I'm glad that at least the MRI is scheduled soon so you will find out more information.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm so sorry to hear this, Lexie. Please know you and Ryker are in my thoughts and prayers and please let me know how I can help. I love and miss you guys.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks so much everyone. It's been really tough to learn about this condition and find out that Ryker could have even more challenges in his future besides having impaired vision, but you all are helping me SO MUCH. I feel stronger and less alone with your warm words, wishes, and prayers. It really makes all the difference, and I love you all for it. :)

    ReplyDelete