Sunday, January 31, 2010

So Tired

So, my little bugaboo is pretty healthy.  I've come to this conclusion based on the fact that he can, and will, cry at the top of his lungs for over an hour straight.  Now before you assume that I'm a terrible mom who just leaves her baby in his crib to cry for an hour straight, let me explain.

Ryker had colic, or at least we think he did.  Now, I'm not so sure.  His colic seemed to start to go away after he hit 2 months, which is normal for the average colicky baby.  However, he's been getting super fussy again lately, and super-gassy again as well.  This, in turn, interrupts his naps.  He's a light sleeper because of it too.  So, now we're thinking he might have some sort of acid reflux or something because most babies will cry themselves to sleep well within 20 minutes.  Not Ryker.  He's got lungs and the energy to use them for a VERY long time before he finally succumbs to sleep.

I'm so tired.  So, so, soooo tired.  About the only time I can count on Ryker sleeping a lot is at night.  Not lately, ohhhhh no...not lately.  Last night he was up several times, tootin' and crying, and I could tell he was so tired as well.  He turns his head from side to side whenever he's really tired.  Finally, I turned him onto his tummy to sleep while I patted his back.  Normally I'd never put him on his tummy to sleep out of fear of SIDS, but he really needed relief from his gas and, I'm sorry, but Mylicon Drops just don't usually do it for him.  So, within minutes of turning him onto his tummy next to me, he fell asleep.  Thank God.

Of course, with him on his tummy, that just meant I slept very lightly, continuously checking on him throughout the rest of the morning.  So yeah...I'm so tired now.  Ryker just finished crying for about an hour straight and finally fell asleep.  I had to leave the room because I couldn't calm him down.  It was a BAD episode of tummy aches and gas!  He's got his 4 month visit near the end of February.  If he's still having issues, I'm going to have to lay the smack down on his pediatrician and demand he pull some magic solution out of his ass because Ryker can't keep feeling this way and I know I can't keep dealing with it.  In the meantime, I'll take pleasure in, and be grateful for, the moments Ryker can get a good nap in.  Like now...here's a pic I just took of him finally sleeping:


On another note, another reason I believe he's one healthy, thriving little baby is how huge he keeps getting. I know people tell you that babies grow fast, especially in their first year, but I'm not the only one who thinks he's pretty big for a 3 month old.  Me, my mom, and my stepdad went to breakfast this morning and two different servers exclaimed how big they thought he was for being only 3 months old.  Ryker's not chubby big, he's long-big.  I'm actually really, really interested to find out where he ranks at his next visit.  I'll keep everyone posted! :)

6 comments:

  1. P.S. Ryker's nap lasted approximately 25 minutes. *sigh* So much for hoping he'd get a good, long on in eh?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sorry you're so tired. That is really hard to listen to your baby cry and not be able to do anything about it. I hope you do get a solution soon. I'm excited to finally see your 'lil Ryker in a few days!

    ReplyDelete
  3. He is getting bigger! And looking more like his adorable mommy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ack! Sounds like a rough time. I think the worst feeling in the world is listening to those cries and not being able to do anything about them. Hang in there! Hopefully, you'll be able to get some sleep again soon.

    By the way, I love the "Nuts about mommy" embroidery on that outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  5. From the looks of that picture he was reeeeeal conked out for that 20 minutes though. :) Ahhh...I'm trying to take advantage of my ability to get as much sleep as I want when I still can...it's almost over. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks everyone, for your kind words and support! Hopefully, me and Ryker will be past this hurdle soon!

    ReplyDelete