Tuesday, June 9, 2009

My 20 Week Ultrasound! :)

Thanks to all of my friends who were able to make it to Sex-Statin' Sushi Saturday! I had a great time and it was fun to share the experience with some of my friends. For the rest of you, it looks like I'll just have to blog the outcome...

But FIRST, I'm going to share my experience of getting an ultrasound. The room was dimly lit and there was a decent sized screen near the top of the wall in front of me. That was really fun and made it comforable for me, seeing as how the movies generally show a small screen next to the chair and the pregnant woman has to turn her head to see everything. Also, it was about 30 minutes long...unlike the movies where they show about 3 minutes worth of things. Though, I suppose, the movies really only want to get to the more exciting parts of the ultrasound. Measurements are still exciting to me, but not generally to a movie audience.

Speaking of measurements, everything measured out just fine and my little one was about 11 oz. Man, to think that everything is only going to increase in size and weight is a little scary, but intriguing at the same time! We got to see the four heart chambers, the organs, and the brain...all the while the little critter was squirming about. In fact, I've always had a sensitive tummy and hate having it be touched, so I had to take a break in the middle of things because I was getting too tense and shaky. I got over it after a couple of minutes though and it was back to more goop and scanning. Oh...they had warm goop, so that was nice. I highly recommend it, if it's an option.

Speaking of options, a 3D ultrasound wasn't an option as they don't currently have them in the Prenatal Diagnostic Center at the U of U Medical Center. However, I was pleasantly surprised at how clear the regular ultrasound was. I could pretty much tell where everything was and even the small organs, like the stomach and kidneys, were easily pointed out to me. Well, onto the ultrasound video. I think I've kept you in suspense long enough, though I'm sure there will be at least one of you (and you know who you are!) who will skip all this mumbo-jumbo I've just taken the time to think up and type, and go right into the videos.

Since it was recorded on a DVD-RW, my computer saved it in 1 minute increments and I'm not computer literate enough to figure out a way to post the full 5 minute video. So, I'm giving you the first 3 minutes, in one minute segments.


Part 1: Leg, Foot, Face, and Arms


Part 2: Arms, SURPRISE, Left Foot, and Left Leg


Part 3: Cute Li'l Profile, Brain, and Spine


Well, I hope you had fun watching my little one squirm. I know I thought it was pretty damn cool! I haven't taken any pics of my growing tummy yet. I keep forgetting and when I don't forget, I'm too lazy to get something cute on and pose. Plus, I'm nursing a yucky cold, so my motivation level is at a massive low right now. I'll post one sometime soon though. It's not gigantic or anything, but I definitely have a "bump." LOL! :)

8 comments:

  1. Thanks Nisi! :) Sorry the videos didn't work at first. After I posted the blog, I went back and realized that I had set them to "private" on YouTube. So, I hurried and changed them. Thanks for trying again so you could see them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is super cool! It must have been so awesome. Hopefully sometime soon I'll get to experience the ultrasound equipment at my dr's office to actually look at a baby...their set up is super fancy. They've actually got a plasma screen right on the ceiling. Oh and your baby looks like a super ninja Skeletor right now which is pretty damned cool. Although I'm willing to bet that the whole skeletor thing is only because I can't see his skin. But whatever. Still pretty exciting if you ask me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, Super Ninja Skeletor eh? Never thought of it THAT way...I mean, the skeletal face really freaked me out when I first saw it, but it sounds so much more badass to term it Super Ninja Skeletor! LOL! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so exciting! How cute. I can't wait to get one of those, another few weeks to go. Are you gonna buy some cute little boy baby clothes now? Hmm.. super ninja skeletor, interesting way to look at it. I like that. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ya know Tess, I've ALREADY bought quite a bit of cute little boy baby clothes! And there's MORE TO COME! LOL! I can't wait for you to have your ultrasound too! Are you gonna find out what you're having? The selfish side of me hopes you're having a boy too so our boys can play together. Yay for playdates! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I want to find out, I always choose instant gratification over surprises. :) I don't have a feeling either way about what it will be, but everyone else seems to think it will be a girl. If it is a girl, they can still play together though. Aw, shopping for little baby clothes sounds like fun.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I wanted to find out so I didn't have to go neutral on everything I bought beforehand. Well, I'm not even going to TRY to guess what you're having, seeing as how I had "a feeling" I was having a girl. But then, so did almost everyone else I knew, except for like 2 people. So, I guess I can't feel TOO bad about my sixth sense being off. Either way, it'll be fun to have our babies so close in age so they can play together and whatnot. And if you EVER wanna go baby clothes shopping sometime, just LET ME KNOW! I'm all about it these days! :D

    ReplyDelete