Thursday, March 19, 2009

Super Target Awesomeness & The Start of Cravings

So, Tuesday evening my friend, Laura, and I went to Super Target up at Ft. Union to take a gander at the maternity clothes. No, I haven't blown up like a hot air balloon (yet). I just wanted to see what they offer since a friend of mine said she shopped there when she was pregnant and found it to be within her budget. So, I thought it sounds like a good plan & was interested in maternity fashions anyway. However, if anyone really knows me, they know that I LOVE pajamas! We probably made it only half-way to the maternity section when I caught sight of the sleepwear area. I couldn't help myself! I found these ADORABLE fishy pj bottoms and a sleepshirt to match! The pj bottoms are sooooo soft and the sleepshirt is long enough that I'll be able to wear it throughout most (if not all) of my pregnancy. I was in heaven! I wore them that very night and I think I'm going to make a second trip back to Target to buy some more. They are amazingly comfy! (Note: The fabulous drawing up top is my personal rendition of the pattern on the fishy bottoms. I had to create it as the Target website bastards wouldn't post a pic online of the pajamas. So, enjoy my artistic talent now because this is a pretty rare opportunity to actually see it.)


So, now that I've hooked you in with that amazing opener, I'll continue with more fascinating details of our journey through Super Target. After deciding that, come hell or high water, I was getting my pajamas, Laura and I made our way to the maternity section, which seemed reeeeeeeeallly small. After carefully measuring the maternity clothes area (which was hidden at the back of the store in the plus size women's clothing section), we determined with ample accuracy that Super Target offers about 5 racks worth of maternity clothes. These racks are generally arranged in a long "U" shape, making most people more likely to accidentally buy some plus sized clothing. I personally think it's some kind of conspiracy to eventually phase out maternity clothing altogether, but what do I know?

So after I decided that I'm just going to have to wait it out 'til I do blow up before looking at maternity clothes again, Laura and I shopped for some shoes...well, mostly Laura shopped for some shoes. She found some pretty snazzy flats that both impressed on-lookers and were pretty comfy to wear. If you look closely you'll notice, yep...that's right, VELCRO! *sigh* I miss velcro shoes. I was even almost tempted to get me a pair of the shoes after I got home that night and thought about how cute, comfy, and velcro-y they are. I, however, would have to buy more gray/silver clothing. I'm uber-weird about colors matching my shoes, which is why the majority of my shoes are black...goes with everything. Anyway, after Laura found her shoes, we started towards the baby section which, I have to say, I wasn't very impressed with. It, like the maternity section, seemed small. "That's unfortunate," I thought to myself "Because it would probably be a better place to have a registry since there are so many locations in the state." Once again, I'm hoping when I'm further along that Target will have a more impressive selection. If not, I'll probably just register at Babies R' Us.


Anyway, as we made our way towards the front of the store, stopping here and there to look at various things, my eyes kept locking on pretty much anything and everything edible. While I still don't have specific cravings, I will sometimes crave whatever I see...ESPECIALLY if I'm overdue for a snack or light meal. Well, I'll be damned if there wasn't some sort of Easter candy or random food item on every single endcap by each register that didn't sound completely yummy! Those cravings of mine eventually led us to the Easter candy isle where I broke down and bought some Reeses Mini Peanut Butter Eggs and some Hershey's Coconut Creme Kisses. OMG! Seriously, you need to try these. They are limited edition, so you need to pick some up soon! If you like coconut and chocolate, these are the perfect treat! I may even have to pick up a second bag when I go back to Target for some more pajamas! :)


Well, onto other cravings. For some reason, I've sort of had a thing for chili ever since I got pregnant. I don't know if this is going to turn into one of those constant, gotta-have-it, types of cravings or if it's just a once or twice a month kind of craving. Either way, I HAD to pick up the fixins for some chili cheese dogs. I know, I know...that's NOT very healthy. The previous weekend Dan and I picked up some food at Wienerschitzel and, I've gotta say, their chili cheese dogs were less than impressive. Now, obviously, the best chili is homemade. I don't have the time, nor the crock pot to make my own so I found a pretty decent canned chili. It's Campbell's Roadhouse Chili and, when you put that atop a Nathan's Famous Hotdog on a Sara Lee bun, sprinkled with some shredded mild cheddar cheese, OH MAN does it hit the spot! Or, at least, it did with me. Will you listen to me? I sound like I'm getting paid to advertise these companies or something (I wish)!


Anyway, other than sometimes craving chili or a chili cheese dog, the only other semi-constant craving I've had is for a plain bologna sandwich, with Miracle Whip. It started when I was watching a movie last week called "Coalminer's Daughter." Yes, I'll admit it, I quite enjoy this biographical tale about the life and times of country-western singer, Loretta Lynn. Sissy Spacek one an Academy Award for her portrayal of Loretta and I can see why. She was AWESOME! I always really liked Tommy Lee Jones' portrayal of Loretta's husband, Dewey "Moony" Lynn, and that should say something since I'm not a huge Tommy Lee Jones fan. Well...there's a scene in the movie where they're on the road, traveling to as many radio stations as they can to put Loretta's song on the air and they stop at a deli to get some bologna to make bologna sandwiches. Dewey teases Loretta saying "You know what they say about bologna, don't ya? They say it makes you horny." Well, I personally don't know about that, but I do know that ever since I saw that, I have been craving a bologna sandwich. I haven't had a bologna sandwich since I was about 5 years old when my dad used to make them for me all of the time. So, I bought some bologna, Oscar Mayer of course, and yesterday when I got home from work, I made myself a bologna sandwich and it was about the best bologna sandwich I've ever had (and NO, it didn't make me horny...I know you were thinking about asking). Well, that's it so far for my cravings...for food and pjs alike. I will, as usual, keep you posted on any new developments on the cravings front. Thank you for reading and allowing me to ramble on about such randomness. :)

8 comments:

  1. Sounds like Target was pretty clever about disguising the fact that they didn't have many maternity clothes.. surprising, I would think they'd have a good selection. Velcro shoes are the bomb! And I'm glad to hear that you're finally getting some good old fashioned cravings.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that maybe they're in between seasons at Target or something. We were really surprised at how small the maternity section was. Oh well...Laura made a great observation about now being a great time in fashion to be pregnant as really long shirts are in. And yes...Velcro shoes ARE the bomb!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well it turns out that the velcro shoes have passed the test of time...they're STILL comfy. I'm not sure just how fashionable they look on me, though, since I've never really bothered to make sure anything I wear matches...in fact I'm pretty sure that about 80% of what I wear clashes with itself. It's kinda it's own style really. Very hip. OH! And I almost forgot. Incase this craving becomes a permanent thing, I saw a carl's jr ad the other day for their new chili cheese dog. Sounds pretty intriguing...that's good to hear that those hershey's coconut kisses are tasty. I might have to pick up a bag, even though I'm supposed to be avoiding sugar. dammit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I still think your new shoes looked fashionable on you. The chili cheese dog cravings have passed, along with the bologna cravings, but I will keep Carl's Jr. in mind in case they come up again. Now I feel bad that I didn't think to break open the bag of Coconut Creme Kisses so you could have some. I'll have to bring you some the next time we see each other.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay for happy pajamas!!!
    And as for the re-creation, the artistic talent is...
    dare I say...mind bLoWing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ahhh...memories... Remember when we were going to design our very own line of happy pajamas? Yeah...we would have made a FORTUNE I tell you! Why didn't we do that again?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Would have, you mean "will"!!! Right?!
    We totally could make some pajama magic happen...
    After all, tis the season for our blasphemous "Happy Easter" ensemble! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. LOL! Ahhh yes! The infamous "Happy Easter" PJs that were known to be the most blasphemous PJs on the Earth!

    ReplyDelete